Translate

Thursday, September 25, 2014

Paranoid Minds

Criminal Minds was recently added to Netflix.  Due to this, the majority of my free time has been spent watching it. For those of you who have been hiding under a rock the past few years, Criminal minds is a TV show in which FBI agents, referred to as profilers, analyze criminal behavior to determine why the unsub (unknown subject) performs the crimes he does.

Criminal minds has slowly started changing my behavior in two major ways. The first thing it has done is made me incredibly paranoid in my daily life. The second thing it has done is made me feel as though I am now a very knowledgeable profiler.

I am a 5-foot-5-inch, 115 pound female with very little knowledge about self defense. This has always caused me to be a little bit paranoid about safety. Thanks to Criminal Minds my paranoia has been increased. I find myself sitting in a restaurant thinking that the person sitting across from me is definitely staring at me and plotting my murder. I usually come to my senses about 20 minutes later and realize that I am not the center of attention of a murderer, but that I'm simply sitting under a TV that is hanging in the corner. A person can simply smile at me and they are for sure planning to kidnap me.

My husband is a gamer and recently started playing a game called Destiny. When a new video game is released, Dallon tends to enjoy staying up late playing. I typically don't enjoy staying up late because sleep is definitely on my list of top 5 favorites. That being said, I will lay in bed thinking about all the random noises I can hear throughout my old basement apartment. These random noises HAVE to be psychotic murderers here to torture me.

One might ask why I continue to watch Criminal Minds. The answer is simple. I. Just. Can't. Stop. I find this show fascinating. I think it's incredible that there is a group of people that examine why people behave the way they do. A great example could be made out of my paranoia. I am probably more paranoid because of my obsession with Criminal Minds. Which brings me to my second point. I can't stop analyzing why people behave the way they do.  It's ironic, though, that because of a show about profiling, I've been profiling more often due to paranoia, which makes me bad at the profiling in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment